Very Pleased to Announce the Opening of the new Emergency Room in Southampton!

Very Pleased to Announce the Opening of the new Emergency Room in Southampton!

Starting January 11, 2018, the Southampton Hospital will open the doors to its brand new Emergency Department. This 10,000 square foot addition includes 12 treatment rooms to care for the 17,000 patient visits to the ED every year.

The new ER is Phase 1 of the project an Phase 2 is a 10,000 square foot renovation, which will see the hospital Laboratory double in size, and includes a new space for the Auxiliary Gift Shop. Work on that phase has already begun and will be finished in late 2018. Both the ER and Lab have been designed to accommodate modern medical equipment, improved patient flow, and enhances workspace for staff, physicians and volunteers.

"This is a very excited day for Grey Bruce Health Services, and a significant boost to healthcare services in Saugeen Shores," said Lance Thurston, President and CEO of GBHS. "We are extremely grateful to the community and the Saugeen Memorial Hospital Foundation for supporting this project."

"The new ER looks great. It will allow staff and physicians to more efficiently serve our current volume of patients, and it provides room to meet the future needs of our growing communities," said Dr. David Billings, Chief of ER at the Southampton Hospital. "The ER, together with the new Lab, will also help us attract new healthcare workers to the area."

The total project will costa approximately $10 million, with the provincial government contributing 90 percent and the remaining 10 percent coming through the Foundation from the community. Bruce power is the largest contributor at $500,000, with other major gifts from the Bevan Foundation and private donors. Many organizations such as Rotary, the Hospital Auxiliary, Cruisers' Cruise Nites, Chantry Island Cham-bettes, along with others have made significant contributions to the project.